Thursday, April 28, 2011

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest definitely comes out on top as my favorite book, and honestly how could it not? Not only does it include my favorite character from the year, Randall McMurphy but it also has popped up in my everyday life. For instance, and earlier blog touched on the allusion to One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest in my favorite show, The West Wing. Not once, but twice they referenced it and I watched the scene three times in a row before I was finally over how epic the moment felt. Then “[I] laughed tell [I was] rolling around the couches and chairs, choking and teary-eyed” (302). My sister, also watching with me sat there with an expression that seemed to say “I don’t seem able to get it strait in my mind…” (196). Unable to appreciate the humor, I took pride in my ability to pick out their allusion to the novel and took pride in the humor, something as Ms. Serensky puts I don’t involve in my blogs too often : “Tina, your blog was funny, they aren’t usually funny”. Thus I can easily say this book enhanced my life outside of school by allowing me to find humor I would have completely missed without the prior knowledge. Also, I am a big time believer in reading books before I watch the movies. To watch a movie and then read the book ruins everything, “it’s as simple as that, as stupidly simple as that” (58). For example, I cannot stand anyone who viewed the Harry Potter movies without first reading the books because the movies cannot compare to the greatness of the books. I have a list of the top 100 movies that I plan to finish before I go to college. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s nest appears on this list and I know I would not thought twice about watching it without first reading the book. Now that I have spent a huge amount of time with the book and analyzed all the characters it’ll be interesting to see my take on the movie and how they portray all the characters. Finally, I loved One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest because of McMurphy. His ridiculous cocky attitude and fragrant disregard for authority entertained me great through the reading and, other than Reggie fox, very few characters have compared to his colorful personality. The snide comments he made to Nurse Ratched and the rebellion he inspires kept the book light and brought an element of humor to an otherwise depressing book. Without him the tyranny of Nurse Ratched would overtake the book and made everything seem hopeless and depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment