Sunday, November 28, 2010

My New friend

Every Sunday my youth group meets to hang out and discuss topics which range from personal problems to current events. Tonight I arrived at our usual meeting place to find that this week my church took part in the Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN), a network of churches that provides help for homeless families in greater Cleveland. The program takes care of the children while the parents attend seminars which teach skills that enable them to find jobs and get back on their feet. When group ended, I was pulled away by a little boy, only 6 or 7, who insisted I play with him. Our friendship was very similar to my friendship with Haley; he bullied me the entire time. He thought it was funny to steal my keys in an attempt to set off my car alarm, hide my cell phone and knock out my legs when I was holding his little sister. I kept asking his name and each time he would insist his name was coincidentally Tina as well. Doubting this was the case, I would not give up while he rattled off 20 different names, laughing hysterically at each one. Always smiling, I realized he did not take anything in life for granted. Eventually I would leave and find comfort in my own bed while he remained without a place to call home. Yet he continued to smile and appreciate the time we had to forget about life and just color together. I realized after I left I never did find out his name, nor did this matter at all. The name was not necessary for us to get to know each other and become friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment