Sunday, December 5, 2010

Marching Band


            With the conclusion of the 2010 marching band season comes the end of my Friday nights filled with tears brought upon by numb fingers, uncomfortable uniforms and cravings for diet cokes. Not only will these feelings ends, but the daily sprints to English because of yet another late band dismissal will cease. Even with all the terrible events that characterize Chagrin Falls Marching Band, I realize I will miss band incredibly. Mark Twain once said, "Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" and I would have to agree with him completely. The insanity of these Friday nights and daily practices brought together everyone in band and allowed for me to make friendships that, without band, could not have existed. True, the weather became unbearable and the nights grew longer, but everyone kept up the same silly attitudes with sideline jokes and rounds of the intermediate school song, Country Roads. Activities that would seem odd to onlookers felt completely normal to everyone in band. With the new book, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, the question of insanity has come up. I believe that without insanity one misses out on enjoyment and absurd fun. I will miss marching band because the insane times allowed for the greatest  moments.

1 comment:

  1. Tina, I too feel this bitter sweet conclusion of a high school musical class. I am probably going to have to drop Strings next semester, and even though I don't always love the class, I am really going to miss the fun times I had with my classmates at concerts, our amazing concert dresses (which we're stealing to wear to prom) and our insanity from time to time. I'll miss you Strings!

    ReplyDelete