Monday, January 10, 2011

The Evolution of Blogs


“She can never take a great and sudden leap, but must advance by short and sure, though slow steps” – Charles Darwin

In many ways, I can see Charles Darwin’s evolutionary theory at work in our weekly blogs. When we set out on our blog endeavors, a short 15 blogs ago, we entered the blogging world inexperienced and uninspired. My blogs began as mere analytical posts, structured and filled with literary devices, but lacking greatly in creativity. However, as the semester progressed, I felt an oddly Darwin-like “survival of the fittest” mentality emerge in an area other than our graded discussions; each of us began to take a certain measure of personal pride in our posts and compete for the highly coveted spots on “Bobbi’s Blog Banter”. As the weeks went by, structure began to take a back seat to content. Each of us wanted to write the funniest post or the most creative. Rather than taking up only 50 minutes of my day, I began to see literary references and possible blog topics everywhere. The slightest relation to AP English in a movie or conversation led to serious deliberation as to whether or not it qualified as “blog worthy”. As the semester draws to a close, I can honestly say that I have enjoyed these blogs. Not only did they replace previously time-consuming poetry papers, they also allowed me to witness the evolution of my writing skills and ideas throughout the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment