Thursday, March 3, 2011

Immaturity Trumps All


Looking back on last Thursday’s discussion, which entered into the debate of whether to hold onto one’s childhood or let go completely, I cannot help but to think there is much more to be said on the matter. I am a strong advocate of holding on to one’s childhood.  As we approach college and the big decisions ahead of us about what to do after college, I think it is important to remember to take a break and act immature for a while in order to get away from the stresses of everyday life. I doubt I will have many opportunities to act immature once I have to get a job and figure out what I am going to do with my life, which just proves that right now represents a perfect time to find a way back to the things that made childhood so great.  For some terrible reason the most carefree days of our lives also makes up the smallest portion. When you think about it, there are really only about 12 years of true childhood until homework begins to enter, followed by expectations and schedules. Of these twelve years, I can only probably remember about 7 or 8 of them enough to look back on the silly games I played and the epic forts I built.  I think I was forced to mature way to early.  I would love more time to be free from responsibly, with the biggest stresses in my life being whether to play inside or outside, or which Disney movie to watch. Also, I never truly appreciated eating what I wanted, whenever I wanted without worrying about working out. There are few things I would not do for a lunchable, some Kool-Aid in the twisty cap bottles, and a wonderball.  I also never went to Chuck-E-Cheese enough when I was a kid, although I doubt I can relive that without creeping all the actual kids out.  Anytime I go to babysit I can’t help but to be jealous of the kids because I realize once I leave they continue their Star Wars battle while I have to go home and think up ideas for blogs or write a soapstone. These are the reasons I continue to watch Disney princess movies on a regular basis and why babysitting on the weekend is one of my favorite activities. Eventually, I realize I will have to grow up but there is plenty of time for that later on. For now, being a kid is so much more fun so I plan on holding on to any remains of my childhood for as long as I can.

1 comment:

  1. Tina, I completely agree, there are so many things that I've outgrown, but I've also realized that I do have a few things that I will never outgrow, and that actually is very comforting to me. Unfortunately, I have outgrown the lunchables and Kool-Aid with the twisty caps (those honestly are the greatest tasting things ever) because I can no longer eat as much as I want. However, I think my Hello Kitty obsession keeps my immaturity up, along with my love for animated movies, computer games, and Disney World. I know these things will stick with me in college, and I will definitely embrace it.

    ReplyDelete